The government of Karnataka has given BIRD-K the task of finding a lasting solution for the fluorosis-affected population in 3 districts. Phase I of this project involved documentation, awareness raising, capacity building, and testing alternate systems of medicine. Phase II involves drawing up a modified plan with specific activities, resource allocations, with timelines in order to provide safe drinking water to households.
- Mapping the fluoride in drinking water sources through water quality testing.
- Studying the impact of consuming rainwater on health.
- Assessing the water availability in rainwater harvesting tanks.
- Testing the harvested rainwater for bacteriological contamination.
- Holding experience-sharing workshops.
- Helping to support the monthly agricultural journal Siri Samruddi.
- Creating a revolving fund to implement rainwater harvesting.